Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Peter Beinart’s Israel Love Poem to Inspire Jews (?)

Daryl Temkin, Ph.D. June 11, 2010 (first post)

I love you Israel because I’m filled with pride when I can criticize you endlessly.

I love you Israel because in my eyes you can do almost nothing right.

I love you Israel because I am constantly inspired to embarrass you in public. I love you Israel because I want your enemies to know everything I can find bad about you as well as your military secrets.

I love you Israel because when I can find one “rotten apple extremist” amongst you, I can make it sound like they represent everyone and prove that you are the real terrorists.

I love you Israel because when your soldiers and civilians are beaten, knived, stoned, bombed and even die, I can remain silent.

I love you Israel because every time you have to kill one of the enemies, I can call it a crime against humanity, a genocide, and make it into an international travesty.

I love you Israel because I can blame you for all you do and for all you don’t do.

I love you Israel because by condemning you in public I never have to feel guilty for anything.

I love you Israel because when your restaurants and busses are blown up, I don’t have to blame the other side, I can blame you.

I love you Israel because I know it is your fault for every terrible thing that should happen.

I love you Israel because I can support the UN, the EU, and NGO’s who condemn most everything you do.

I love you Israel because I’m never wrong even when what I demand turns out to be a disaster for you and highly threatens the lives of most of your population.

I love you Israel because I can tear you apart as much as I want and you will always be there to love me back. I can do no wrong, it’s only you who is wrong.

I love you Israel because I feel better about myself the more I tell others how wrong you are.

I love you Israel because when people see how I love you with criticism, it inspires them to love you.

I love you Israel because I don’t believe that evil exists but I only see evil when I think of you.

I love you Israel because it sounds good for me to say that in front of a crowd at a rally.

No comments: